In 2019, with the intent to help support employees who are new parents or foster parents, the City Council adopted the Paid Parental Leave Policy. The policy gives qualified employees 2 weeks of paid leave to care for and bond with their newborn, newly adopted, or newly placed foster child.
Below are the general rules of the policy. Read the full policy here.
General Rules of the Policy
- Full-time and permanent part-time employees who have worked for the City of Monona for at least 12 consecutive months are eligible for this benefit.
- Paid Parental Leave runs concurrent with FMLA, not in addition to FMLA. If you intend to use 12 weeks of FMLA leave for the birth of your child, 2 of those 12 weeks will be fully paid by the City as Paid Parental Leave.
- The leave can be taken all at once or in 2 separate segments of one week each.
- The leave must be taken within 6 months of the child's birth or placement.
- Employees are paid their normal base salary while on Paid Parental Leave.
How to Apply
Complete the Paid Parental Leave request form and return to your supervisor. Since leave for the birth or adoption of a child is also a qualifying event under the FMLA, complete an FLMA Request Form also.