Brush, Leaves & Yard Waste
Fall Leaf Collection
Completed for the Season
Yard Waste Drop-Off Site
Closed for the seasonMonona's free yard waste drop-off site for leaves, grass clippings, and garden waste (shown at right) is open through late fall, and is now closed for the season. The site is located at the Public Works Garage on Edna Taylor Parkway, between Femrite Drive and East Broadway, next to the Monona Dog Park. It will reopen again in early spring, with the exact date weather dependent.
The City contracts with Barnes, Inc. for curbside brush collection. Brush is collected 4 times per year from April through October with each collection divided into 4 districts. If you're not sure which district you reside in, click to view a map or a listing of districts by street. Collection will resume again in spring 2019.
2019 Brush Collection Schedule
|DISTRICT 1||DISTRICT 2||DISTRICT 3||DISTRICT 4|
|April 8||April 15||April 22||April 29|
|June 3||June 10||June 17||June 24|
|August 5||August 12||August 19||August 26|
|October 7||October 14||October 21||October 28|
Brush Collection Requirements
- Residents should place their brush at the curb by 7:00 a.m. on Monday of their scheduled collection week. Once the collection for a street is completed, crews will not return until the next scheduled pick-up week. We cannot ensure collection of brush if it is not at the curb by 7:00 a.m. on Monday.
- Residents should not place their brush at the curb more than 14 days before their scheduled pick up week.
- The free collection is for routine tree trimmings and yard maintenance; it is not for the disposal of entire trees. Brush generated by a private contractor must be disposed of by the contractor.
- Brush pile size should not exceed 4' x 4' x 10'. Limbs should not exceed 6 inches in diameter and 10 feet in length. Residents who have more brush than allowed per the pile size limit must remove or dispose of the brush within 7 days after the scheduled collection. Options for disposing of the additional brush include:
- Contact Barnes, Inc. at (608) 845-3230 or any tree company of your choice to have the additional brush collected for a fee.
- Take the additional brush to the Dane County Landfill for a disposal fee of $10, up to 500 pounds.
- Brush should be uniformly stacked behind the curb, untangled, with all cut ends facing the street or parallel with the street facing the direction of traffic for your side of the street.
- Keep brush separate from other refuse at the curb and do not mix brush with other yard waste. Brush which is mixed with leaves, garden waste or yard waste can not be collected.
- Tree roots, root balls, stumps, and logs can not be chipped without damaging the machinery. Remove any roots or root balls and place these in your regular trash.
- Thorny brush should be piled separately so as to minimize injury to collection personnel.
Dropping Off Your Brush
The City of Monona does not have a drop-off site for brush. Outside of the regular brush collection schedule, residents who have brush to dispose of will need to contact a private contractor. The Dane County Landfill (located on Hwy. 12 just east of Interstate 90) will also take brush for a fee.