When Do I Need a Permit?
Building Permits are required for any new residential or commercial building construction, along with any additions and/or changes to the exterior of your building or property; or any additions or changes to the interior of your building. All of the following require building permits:
- New construction
- All kinds of remodeling and/or alterations
- Additions, including screened porches and decks
- Finishing an unfinished basement
- Installation of swimming pool, whirlpool, or hot tub
- Installation of wood stoves and fireplaces
- Building an accessory structure (detached garage, shed, boathouse, etc.)
- Any type of electrical, heating, or plumbing work, including replacement of furnace, central air conditioner, water heater, and water softener
- Replacing windows
- Installing a fence
- Demolition of an existing house
How Do I Submit My Application?
General Engineering Company has a new ONLINE PERMIT APPLICATION process. Prior to submitting your application, please be sure to gather the following as needed for your specific permit:
What Happens After I Submit My Application?
The building inspector will review your application and plans, calculate the appropriate fees, and approve your permit. If he needs more information in order to issue your permit, he will contact you. Once your permit is issued, it will be ready for pickup at City Hall (5211 Schluter Road, Monona). Fees can be paid when the permit is picked up. If you prefer to pay your permit fees by credit card over the phone, please call us at 608-222-2525. We'll process your payment and email your permit card to you. (Please note that there is a 2.75% user fee for credit card payments.) As a reminder, no work should begin until you have an approved permit.
If you’d like to meet with the inspector in person to discuss your project, it’s best to schedule an appointment by calling (608) 222-2525.